Wednesday, October 11, 2017

English Paper Piecing the Hexagon






Sorry to say, that I've let this blog just hang out here with no attention from me. 

Let's get updated with a post on English Paper Piecing, or EPP for short. I have fallen in love with the technique over the past year and I can finally use my collection of small scrap fabrics. I really enjoy the hand stitching and the ability to take this project on the go. 

Believe me when I say that there are SO many blog posts on EPP and each person has their own technique and style. I hope to offer you an in-depth look at look at trying this technique, my progress with building the quilt top and some thoughts along the way.

So, I thought I would offer you an up close look at making your first hexagon from start to finish. I've already gotten pretty far in my attempt, but I'm no where finished and I am still learning with each step I take. 

Supplies you will need:

Thread-thin polyester thread in a color that will match your fabrics

Clips-I like Clover clips, however any brand or style of clip would work, even a paper clip.

Needle-Milliners size 11

Paper templates-I use the free templates offered thru a beautiful blog-Texas Freckles

Cotton fabrics-for this tutorial, I've used 100% cotton quilting fabrics. If you are making a hexy flower, you will need 1 fabric and paper piece for the middle and 6 fabric and paper pieces for the sides.

Here's how to get started:
1. Select and cut your fabrics. Leave a seam allowance of 1/4" on all sides of your paper template. You do not need an acrylic template for this, simply trace your paper template directly onto your fabric or pin your template against your fabric and trim it to size. Don't fuss over straight edges or perfect cuts in this step, just be sure to leave at least a 1/4" seam allowance on all sides. Less than 1/4" seam allowance may not hold the stitches firmly in place once the quilt is being assembled and it's difficult to turn under seams that are too short. In some cases, I've left the fabric as a square shape to create my hexagon, and this works just fine, just trim any bulk away after tacking.

2. Place your paper template on the wrong side of the fabric and center it. It may be helpful to pin it in place. Fold one side of the fabric down and place a clip to hold it securely. Decide at this point if you will turn your work to your right or your left, moving clockwise or counter clockwise. Try to keep this consistency thru each hexagon
you make.

3. Once you've folded down one side, fold the next side down to form a neat mitered corner. It may be helpful to hold the corner together as you turn down the second side. Once your corner is formed, pinch it closed and slide the clip up to catch it, or place another clip. This corner will stay clipped while you work around the hexagon, and it will be the last corner you stitch. Making this corner first allows the fabric to sit perfectly in place while you work, guarding against any shifting while stitching your hexagon. 
4. Turn your work clockwise or counter clockwise, I turn mine clockwise and that's how you'll see it here in this tutorial. Make a corner here, just as you did before. Pinch this corner securely with your thumb and forefinger. 

5. With your threaded and knotted needle, slide it up under the edge of your seam allowance going behind your mitered corner fold. Be sure you have not pushed thru your paper template, if so simply pull back and reposition the needle. Push the needle up thru all layers of fabric in the fold, emerging just off to either side of your corner fold. Pull the needle thru and stop just as you feel the knot catch the underside of the fabric. Continue to pinch the corner securely with your fingers. 

6. Hold the needle horizontally, aiming directly at the mitered corner fold. Push your needle slightly down yet towards the area that your first stitch came up thru, catching all the layers of your corner fold. This is called a whipstitch. This stitch stretches across and under your actual folded fabric. Because this is your first stitch in the hexagon, you can do this stitch twice then on your last pass thru, catch the loop with the point of your needed creating a simple knot. Move to your next corner and follow again steps 3-6, however, only your first and last whip stitch should be knotted in place, all others can be a simple loop or catch of the fabric.
7. As you move from one corner to another, keep your thread taut but not too tight. Picture 7 shows it too taut, warping the fabric and template. Don't be afraid to wiggle things back into place if this happens. Gently loosen your whip stitch, straighten things out and move onto the next corner. As you are folding your fabric down over the edges of the template, make sure to keep the fabric as close as possible to the paper template edges without bending or folding the paper template.

8. When you reach your last corner, the one that is clipped, remove the clip and tack the corner with your last whip stitch and a simple knot. I like to do two stitches in my last corner and on the last stitch I knot the thread by catching the loop and pulling it thru. I insert my needle back down into the fabric, going down and under the seam allowance to leave my thread ends tucked into the seam allowance. Trim your thread to the edge of your seam allowance and admire your first hexagon!

9. This is the right side of the finished hexagon. If you feel the need, you can press this finished piece with a hot dry iron. 

I'll update you with my progress in my next post and we will start to put these hexagons together in my next tutorial. Feel free to comment below and show me your hexagons!







No comments: