Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Chana Masala



One of my "go to" meals for chickpeas is Chana Masala! Have you tried it before? It's pretty amazing, if you like Indian dishes! 

The first time I wanted to make this, I found so many versions online that I just couldn't decide which to use. In the end, I sort of made a modge podge of two recipes from sources that I reference often and trust. I chose ingredients that I had on hand already, but I did have to buy Garam Masala. Garam Masala is a mixture of peppers, cloves, cinnamon, cumin, coriander and cardamom...it smells amazing and it lends that perfect combination of spices to the dish.

I referenced 
Smitten Kitchen (LOVE that blog!!) for the recipe on Chana Masala, as well as the recipe over at PPK (Post Punk Kitchen), by the amazing Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Click those links to see their recipes for Chana Masala, and while your there, check out the other 100's of awesome recipes available!

Here is my version of Chana Masala:



2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large or 2 small onions, diced
2 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground turmeric
juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp paprika
2 or 3 tsp garam masala
1 can 32oz crushed tomatoes
4 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)

First, prepare your beans. If using canned, drain and rinse, then skip to the rest of the recipe. If using dried, cook according to the package directions, then proceed with the recipe. 


In a large skillet over medium heat, add coconut oil. Then, add to the skillet diced onions, garlic and ginger. Saute until lightly browned. Add in all the spices, stir to coat the onions, and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually, add in lemon juice, crushed tomatoes and chickpeas. Stir together and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes and then taste, adjust spices and or salt according to your desired taste (I added an additional teaspoon of Garam Masala, hence the 2 or 3 teaspoons in the recipe). The sauce should be slightly thick, but if it's too thick for your taste, just add a little water to thin it. 
Serve hot over rice. 

Sure, it's not *exactly* what you would get in an Indian restaurant, but it's close enough for us to enjoy!





Both of the recipes I referenced called for the addition of fresh tomatoes, I didn't have any on hand, but I would like to try it that way when I do.

Also, I went ahead and cooked the whole bag of beans and when they were ready, I only pulled out the 4 cups necessary for the recipe. The left over beans were drained and packed into a container in the fridge. I love to keep plain beans like this on hand for the week. I can make chick pea salad, toss them onto a salad or drop them into a soup. I do the same with black beans and any red beans that may be left over from a recipe.

This recipe makes quite a lot, and it reheats so easily! You could even double it and place portions into the freezer!

Let me know if you make it! I hope you enjoy :)





2 comments:

Kimberly Paradiso said...

Love Chana Masala, any kind of Indian food really!! I will have to give your recipe a try for sure! :) Thanks for sharing!

Bugsparrow said...

If you try it let me know how it turns out!