Thursday, July 18, 2013

How to: Mason Jar Pantry Storage



I'm not sure exactly if I saw this idea first on Pinterest, or somewhere on a blog but, the idea if using Mason Jars as pantry storage was definitely something I had to do. 

This was a project I did with the kids a little more than a year ago, and I still use this system today. The only thing that's changed, is that I now use this idea in the freezer and the fridge too. The Mason Jars were a cheap investment to make, especially when you compare pantry storage containers, which are mostly made of plastic anyhow.

I purchased two packages of jars, both in the 32oz and the 16oz sizes. Each package came in a set of 12 and cost about $10 a pack. I also purchased two 64oz jars and a few in-between sizes as needed. 












Mason Jars or recycled jars

Painter's tape

Chalkboard paint (they have chalkboard labels now)

Sponge brush

Chalkboard markers, or chalk









First, start with clean, dry jars. 

Then, decide how large of an area you will need for your chalkboard. If your using a chalkboard peel and stick label, skip all the painting steps, and just stick your labels on and get right into using your chalk. 

I chose to eyeball it, but you could use a strip of paper or a post it note as a template. Then, tape off the areas you do not want painted. Make sure your tape is smoothed and secure to the jar, because the jars have lumps and bumps and your paint will run under the tape if it's not secured. Once your happy with your tape, using a sponge brush, brush on a thin coating of chalkboard paint. Let this dry, and apply up to 2 more layers if needed. I chose to remove my tape while my paint was still wet.

Let this cure overnight, or follow the specific curing directions on your paint bottle. 

After the curing you can use either the chalkboard markers or the regular chalk, I chose the markers, because they were brighter and gave a cleaner edge to the writing. 

I let the kids do the labeling, and they got pretty creative! My son put some really heartwarming notes on my jars, and it was fun to get them involved. Here's a close up of my jars...and their sweet notes :)





I found that the chalkboard marker did not wash off easily from the paint, which ended up being ok since I was refilling those jars with the same product anyways. But, I had to be careful not to submerge the jars in water, as the paint will peel off an it is NOT dishwasher safe. The paint will create a mess inside of your dishwasher! I learned that the hard way! It's best to wipe out or gently hand wash as needed. 

Have fun with your Jars and find places to use them all over your house, not just in your kitchen!


On another note, you can now find my blog on QuilterBlogs! Be sure to stop by and check out what Quilters are blogging about today! :)




No comments: