Thursday, July 29, 2010

Haphazard quilting :)

So I'm just getting started on a new quilt! I'm not calling myself a quilter...but I try. There is no rhyme or reason to the construction of this quilt, just randomly grabbing pieces from the scrap bag and cutting them down anywhere from 1" x 4" to 3" x 4" depending on the size the scrap already is. After I have cut a good handful, I strip sew with a 1/4" seam, then iron my seams out. I connect and iron my pieces as I go, and before you know it you've got a pretty long strip in no time flat! So the reason behind the madness? I'm running out of fabric storage options for my small space, and it's a good excuse to use what I have then go and buy more updated fabrics...right? As haphazard as this all sounds...there is a bit of criteria this quilt has to meet..

1. Each complete strip has to be at least 6ft. in length...I want it to cover my feet when I curl up on the couch :)

2. It has to be 100% cotton, or it doesn't make the cut!

3. It has to be random, no preplanned patterns.

4. It's gotta be quick...or it's not going to happen...I'm pretty sure I have some sort of craft attention disorder.

5. Last but not least...it's gotta be fun, I don't want to get bored!

I have had such a great time going thru my old fabrics! I hadn't realized just how much scrap I had till I started picking thru it and cutting. I think this will be a great memory quilt for the kids too! They can look back at the pieces and remember pajama pants that I made them out of the Spongebob prints or the baby doll outfits made from the flowery yellow fabrics, the tote bag from the pink skulls....the list goes on and on. The only thing that I haven't truly given any thought too is will it be machine or hand quilted. I haven't hand quilted something this large before, just small doll size quilts...this could be a challenge!

More to come....

No comments: